Wednesdays are simplicity days at SimpleProductivity blog.
I hate shopping. With a passion. So my solution to Black Friday is to stay inside and pretend like I’m snowed in.
This worked fine until my daughter started to be old enough to want to do things when she wasn’t in school. So here are my top five things to do instead of shopping on Black Friday.
- Visit the ocean. Or a park, or some natural place far away from the shopping malls. We live in a city that is near the ocean, so walking on the boardwalk is always a possibility for us.
- Visit the garden. This year our local botanical garden is hosting an American Indian ceremony to honor the spirit of a bald eagle killed there earlier this year. We will be attending to watch the dancing and to see the beautiful attire on the dancers.
- Craft. Now that my daughter is old enough, we can craft together. I will encourage her to pull out a craft kit from the closet and work on her craft while I knit nearby. Note: this will only work if you have the supplies ahead of time.
- Make bird feeders. I like to make bird feeders out of pine cones, peanut butter and birdseed. This quick “craft” is fun to do and the birds (and squirrels) love them!
- Read. My daughter is reading a chapter book (The Westing Game) I adored when I was her age, so we are reading it together.
- Make gingerbread. It’s too early for me to make holiday cookies, but gingerbread is a welcome treat. This also gives my daughter practice in practical math and fractions, but don’t tell her that!
Do you have something you do as an alternative to shopping on Black Friday? Share below.
Photo by zenera