Mondays are productivity days at SimpleProductivity blog.
“Faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, and able to leap tall buildings in a single bound”…Superman is untiring and unceasing in his efforts to get things done. He changes roles quickly (in a phone booth), and zips out at top speed to get to the places he needs to be. No matter how many people seem to need his attention he is available.
But there is another type of superhero lurking around the corner.
He is tireless in his efforts, needing little rest or food. Only one thing can affect him, and he is impervious to the rest.
The thing is our modern lives cause us to try on this Superman cape. We try to do everything, being faster, stronger, always available. But we’re not superheroes, and eventually, instead of flying, we will crash.
I know many people who fit the superhero-wanna-be role. And here is how I know:
Are You A Superhero?
- Their schedules are packed. From sunup (or before) to well into the night, these people have places to be.
- They never seem to sleep or rest. Even after a grueling 15 hour day, they are not fatigued, downing shots of espresso like water.
- They multitask constantly. It doesn’t matter how many things are going on, they are pulled in a million directions at once.
- As they approach burnout…they become impatient, crabby or air-headed.
How To Retire The Cape
Superheros can retire. (Just ask Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy) So if you decide you need to hang up the cape, know you are not the first. And don’t worry – if being in retirement is scary, remember you can always come out of retirement (like Bret Favre).
Here are ways to hang up the cape:
- Jettison commitments.
- Purge your task list.
- Stop multitasking
- Stop perfectionizing.
- Look at Return On Investment (ROI) on activities.
So once you’re back to being human, it will take a bit to relax into the reasonable schedule. But I believe it will be a relief to hang up the cape, so stick with it.
What do you think? Are you a superhero-wanna-be? Or a recovering one? Share below.
Photo by charlesfettinger