I have been using Launchy for many months. It’s a great little application and saves me time every single time I use my computer.
Intro to Launchy
Launchy is an application launcher. It will automatically figure out what applications are on your computer and with a (configurable) keyboard action, will allow you to start them.
Launchy is open source, and it is free.
Launchy has many features:
- Configurable launch sequence. You can choose the keys that you want to use to bring up the Launchy screen. It is a full keyboard complement.
- Configurable suggestion list. The GUI can be set to show as many or as few options as you wish.
- USB mode. The program can be run from a USB drive, making it a great launcher for portable applications.
- Configurable catalog. You can set and exclude files from the catalog of files it will launch. For example, I added a couple of directories off my thumb drive, and the directory that contains my self-programmed utilities.
- Plugins. Launchy allows you to start websites with configurable search strings with the plugin Weby. Runny allows you to run items like the command prompt. There are many plugins available.
Launchy really does make working easier. My hands never have to leave the keyboard to start another application, and I find myself using the mouse much less.
Photo by stringflickr